Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Loonie Bin Indeed


I feel like I am living in the land of crazazy!!! Well, of course, we know that I really am and just pretend that I'm not which could really lend to problems. LALA land is definitely a crazazy place to live. For this post though, let's talk about the craziness my children create rather than the city I live in.





I'm not sure what is up with Kade. He has been verbally mean and disrespectful to me now for about 2 weeks. Every day after school he turns into this nasty vile creature that has nothing nice to say or do to anyone. I hope this is not what puberty will do for him as he has been, for the most part, a truly polite, kind and pleasant child. I should probably consult with the in-laws to see what Wade turned into at this age. Somehow, I'm afraid of the answers I'll get if I ask as I know my share of his teenage years as it is.

Kyrie is living with her cell phone permanently attached to her ear. I finally took it away on Sunday for the afternoon and evening, so she took mine instead. She is her dramatic, overreacting self. Our conversation this morning..."Kyrie, that shirt isn't appropriate."
"Okay mom. I'll button up my sweater."
"Fine, but we know that won't be the case at school."
"Sure, cuz I'm a slut huh?"
How she jumps from me saying that her shirt isn't appropriate, to telling her we both know she won't keep her sweater buttoned up at school, to me accusing her of being a slut is beyond me. I told her she was a foolish child and that unless she is polite and kind to me I'm not doing anything for her. I've told Kade the same thing.

Jacob and Kade fight about who will sit in the front of the car every time they get into it. Last week Jacob kicked Kade in the crotch, so he was banished from the front indefinitely. It doesn't stop him from hopping in whenever he can and creating a scene with his brother. For some reason, they respond to each other with yelling, hitting, kicking, you get the idea.

I've heard about moms going on strike and it sure is tempting. However, whilst I was fully thrown into a foul mood this morning while driving Kyrie to school it hit me. I can't let them dictate my mood and make me miserable. I need to be happy and calm to keep any semblance of normalcy and non-crazaziness in the home, so I can't let them make me angry. I need to find a different way to deal with their attitudes etc. although I'm not sure what. Maybe I need to revert to what dad made us do and sit them on the sofa next to each other, no TV, no computer, no cell phones, no ipods, just sitting there next to each other until they can put up with each other and be kind to each other. Now I just need to figure out who will be my enforcer. I'm sure a lack of fatherly input has not helped the situation. I can't wait for these next few months to be done so Wade can have more time for the family and himself. Throw into the mix that I can't walk down the hallway without my heart racing and being out of breath and you can imagine how crazazy I really am. (Don't worry, I'm going to the doctor tomorrow morning. Maybe he'll institutionalize me hahahahahaha)

(photo from www.drivebypress.org)

2 comments:

BS and the Kids said...

So, I don't want to say that you have created some of those problems, but I might have to. For one, it shouldn't even be an option for Jacob to sit in the front seat. I don't care how much he weighs or that the air bag goes off because he doesn't weigh enough to set it to on, the safest place for a child under the age of 12 is in the back seat. You can argue all you want with me, but let us not forget that I am a Pediatric INTENSIVE CARE UNIT nurse and have seen situations that none would ever want to have happen to their own child and if I can do what I can to prevent it, I will. And if that means following guidlines and laws, like putting my child in a booster until he is 4'9 and 80 lbs., I will. Ok, enough of that soap box. I am starting a program called Accountable Kids. It teaches children that until their core jobs are done, in which they can earn tickets to do things such as watch 1/2 hour of tv, play video games or go to baseball practice, they can't enjoy things otherwise. I think it teaches the value of work and respect, as things aren't just handed out and it helps kids learn to entertain themselves while they have idle time. It also takes cards away for negative behavior and awards best behavior. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but all in all, I don't think it will be. There is nothing wrong with taking things away from your kids for behavior that is disrespectful. They have lessons to learn, and if you don't do something to change that behavior, they will think it is alright. I know you know this already, but I am just trying to make you feel better as a MOM. We are there to shape our children into responsible adults. Having said that. I would just get rid of Kyrie's cell phone. She has obviously shown she doesn't know how to be responsible about it. And of course, she is a SLUT. Ha, ha. I don't understand how she jumps to that conclusion so quickly, but she always does. And as far as your heart goes, I am glad you are finally going to see someone. Have you taken your pulse yet to make sure you aren't in SVT? Does it always stay elevated, or does it come down? There are a few other things it could be, but if it is over 180 with little variation, it could be SVT, vs. anything else mentioned before, just try a vagal movement or stick a bag of ice over your face and maybe it will stop racing. (like my mood as well?) sorry for the novel, Love your little sis.

J and J said...

I was going to respond to this last pm and had it all written out but my password would not work. Kevin told me that he uses it all the time, just must be my age, right? The best thing that your kids need to know is that you love them and that they are children of ahEavenly Father. They can make choice but there are consequences that come with their chices. One think that they need to learn is how to listen to the Spirit. I know I did not teach my children how to do that very well. The spirit can not reside where there is contention and fighting. ask them how they feel when they are doing this? Kyrie and I had that same discussion last summer. Something I asked her made her respond that I thought she was a "slut". Ask her why she uses that term, is she afraid that is how we perceive her, or is that the way she preceives herself if she thinks she is not following the Lord's instructions? Or is she trying to make us forget how the conversation began? Will call you tomorrow to see how your Dr.'s appt. went. The week has gone by but not a lot has happened.Keep in touch. Luv MOM