I finally got to take a yoga class yesterday, only to have my cell phone (that I forgot to turn off) ring 20 minutes in. It was Jacob's school saying he had gotten into trouble and he was being sent home for the day.
What? Jacob? In trouble? Other than sometimes not doing his homework this kid is a happy go lucky kind of guy who is friendly to everyone.
The day before in carpool line he asked another little boy if he wanted a dollar. (He must've found one at home and put it in his backpack.) Jake told the kid he would give him a dollar if he beat up his little brother when he got home. The other kid thought that was a good deal.
Once this child got into his car his mom noticed he had a dollar and wanted to know where he got it. He promptly told her he had to beat up his little brother when he got home, as someone (Jacob) had given him a dollar to do it. Needless to say, she wasn't too happy with the situation. Really, I wouldn't have been either, except it was JACOB who said it and gave him the dollar. She went to the head of the school the next morning and wanted the situation "taken care of." So really, I'm not sure how she reacted. The principal said she was upset and like I said, I probably would've been too if the situation had been reversed. But I guess growing up with 6 brothers and having 3 boys of my own has taught me that boys, even when they are fully grown, say and do stupid things for no apparent reason all too often.
When questioned about it, Jacob said he didn't know why he did it, he just did. He wasn't upset with the boy or his brother. In typical Jacob fashion, he was being silly and trying to be cool by giving the kid a dollar. The principal said I needed to come get him as he was being sent home for the day as punishment. (I could hear him sobbing in the background, poor guy. He really hates getting into trouble and really felt bad.) I started to laugh when she told me this. I'm sure she thought I was a bit whack-o, but I told her that probably wasn't the best form of punishment for him as he doesn't like going to school. Going home would be a reward. Oh well. I picked him up, we had a good chat about the situation and why we can't just say whatever comes to our mind and the seriousness of asking someone to beat someone else up, grabbed some lunch on the way home, and he helped me plant my patio garden. When we picked up the older kids and he told them what happened they both laughed. Kade wanted to know why he was "so dumb." Wade said the same thing when he was told. We told Jake he needed to write an apology to the other child. I glibly suggested he add "and I want my dollar back."
2 comments:
that is pretty funny. really don't know what he was thinking but you could see what the mom was! lessons of life learned the hard way.
at least he didn't give him a glock to seal the deal ;-) by the way, did you read the story about the lenght of a dollar bill and average size of male anatomy?
Post a Comment