Friday, August 1, 2008

The Home Inspection

On Sun when Wade and I looked at the home we want to buy we noticed a water stain on the ceiling in one of the bedrooms. We couldn't tell if it was an active problem, but assumed it was old, possibly from the hurricanes in '04. Well, when the agents and inspectors got to the home yesterday they walked into a minor disaster. For some reason the majority of water heaters are installed in the attics here, since most homes don't have basements. The spot we noticed was from the water heater leaking. It had leaked so much since Sun. that it had collapsed a big hole in the ceiling. The floor was soaked as were the two mattresses on the bunk bed directly under the problem. Everyone went into crisis mode and had things taken care of quickly. A plumber showed up to turn off the water and is replacing the water heater today. Service Master pulled up the carpet and pad and sprayed a mold/mildew/germ inhibitor and will place new pad down and clean and restretch the carpet. They cut out the damaged drywall on the ceiling. The home inspectors also found a few leaks in the flashing around a couple of pipes in the ceiling so the roofers are coming today to check it all out. We have had so much rain here lately that I think the drought is over. It was pouring yesterday which is good since it made it possible to see the leaks. The poor current owners of the home have been OOT for at least a month. They are Korean, so they were visiting Korea and Japan so the man could climb Mt. Fuji.
I'm not stressing about anything, as their home owners should take care of it all. I would like it all to be fixed before we close and I would really like to be able to move in in 2 weeks. I guess this may slow us down some. Sigh. Does buying a home ever go smoothly?

2 comments:

globaljunkie said...

you might want to rethink this home, as water problems have a habit of lingering and you may get into a mold situation.

Amanda said...

Man you're having all sorts of bad luck. I'm sorry, that must be really frustrating. Good luck with everything and we'll keep you in our prayers.