Saturday, December 1, 2007

Over the River and Through the Woods...

What does one get when attempting to travel from Los Angeles to Las Vegas on I-15 the Wed. before Thanksgiving? No this is not a joke with a great punch line. Normally the trip should take between 3-4 hours. It took us 7. Yes SEVEN!!!! It is hard to imagine if you didn't see it, but there was bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic, everywhere you looked and drove. We then managed to drive through to SLC arriving there at a great 5 star hotel aptly named the BS Inn, at 5:00 am to sleep for 3 hours. Waking totally refreshed we then drove on to Pocatello. I think from leaving our home in Beverly Hills, picking up Grandpa at LAX, and on through to Poky took 17 hours. Going home Monday morning, being able to drive between 80-90 all the way, with many more stops for running around, eating, gassing up, etc. took only 12. Whew...note to self...remind the cheap husband that unless he plans on doing the trip himself next time, he can spring for airplane tickets.

Once we arrived we had a great time. Amidst the turmoil of 22 grandkids being crammed together in confined spaces, adults who have different ideas about acceptable levels of cleanliness and voicing opinions on such matters, I realized why it is I love coming home and seeing everyone. Even though it is always utter chaos it is a chaos I love and cherish. We even had great grandma there completing four generations on my mother's side of the family. We were lucky enough to visit with Grandma/pa Foster for a little while too. We really don't get to see our families enough. Now with Wade interviewing everywhere except where I would like to settle, I'm even more worried about this.

I guess we've always known that our living arrangements were temporary, and now that they will become more permanent I can't seem to make up my mind where I would like to live. Everything sounds awful, somehow not just right. I've decided this has more to do with fear than anything. Can I really be old enough now that we will settle and have a real job? What will the schools be like? What will the ward or branch be like? Will any of us be able to make new friends again? Living here has made me realize that we really had things good in B'ham and we miss it. Crazy that I would now consider the south "home" seeing how I couldn't wait to move away for the past 11 years. I'm all but begging Wade to find a job close to family or friends and not make us all move so far away from both. LA has a way of creating a love/hate relationship for the city and all about it and for the most part we can't wait to leave. Sadly, after each interview he comes home loving where he was thinking it is the best place to raise a family. I'm sorry, but Minnesota and Ohio just can't be where I'm supposed to move to next.

1 comment:

BS and the Kids said...

Yeah, I don't think the midwest is for you either, although, people love it there. But, there is so much more to offer in the west. Even if you don't end up within a 2-5 hour drive range, it would be fun to have you within atleast 10 hours. What about St. George, it is a growing metropolis (he he) with lots of old people that probably have need of the moh procedure. You still get the sun and warm (hot) weather.