I purchased a Rival Seal a Meal for under $40. If you do get one make sure it has the port on top for the accessory tube, this way you can seal jars too. You will have to purchase the jar sealers separately, which can be done at numerous places but I found Goodmans in Miami to be good. There is a wide jar and regular jar size, I recommend both. Purchased a box of bags and have been busy all morning. At least the hurt foot came in handy in one way, it forced me to stay home and work at my food storage for the day.
My family enjoys the Martha White muffin mixes. These do require milk. The Betty Crocker brand require only water. Have purchased both when on sale. To vacuum seal and extend shelf life simply cut open a slit at the top of the package, fold over and seal in your baggie. Have also sealed hamburger helper/tuna helper this way. Make sure you do not seal powders in a bag without having them in another bag or they will be sucked up into the sealer and ruin the motor. This is why I leave the powders in their original container and simply slit a hole at the top, express the air, fold over, and viola. Food that's shelf life has been at least doubled.
4 comments:
Wow. I don't even know what to say, but congrats on being an overachiever.
You can say, "wow, maybe I should get my butt in gear so that my family doesn't starve when the shiite hits the fan." Just a suggestion. Of course, who knows what the problem will be, but your funds will surely be lower once B is back in school. Food storage would come in handy then. Have you cooked with your solar oven yet? It is amazingly easy and works really well.
I'm taking the Seal a Meal back to Wal-Mart. After using it all morning it decided to quit working. It is clearly not for someone who plans on doing this a whole lot. Will spend closer to $100 for the commercial quality Food Savor. Think it will be worth the investment. Leftovers can be sealed to lengthen their storage time, etc.
wow, can you say nut job and salmonella?
Post a Comment