Thursday, March 5, 2009

In Full Swing

It's that time of year again. We are in full baseball mode. Kade and Jake's teams are both undefeated and things are going well. Well, as well as can be expected.

Wade is coaching Kade's team. Officially, he is the head coach. Realistically, he has allowed one of his assistants (a know it all real SOB whom I don't care for) to take over as leader of the pack. This guy's kid plays catcher. So, guess who hasn't played catcher at all this year. Yup. My kid. My kid, who's father is the head coach and won't stick up for him in a manner I would like him to. My kid who is still having fun playing so I shouldn't worry about it so much. My kid who rocks as a catcher and needs to play that position some instead of being stuck all night in the outfield. My kid who will play catcher next game or else my husband will be going without any lovin' for a long time. There. I said it. I am going to use my womanly wiles to get my way. Man am I conniving or what?

I love watching the boys play ball. This year however, I am literally stuck in hillbilly hell at the ball park. Picture this. One year, your boys are playing in BH, Larry King, Kurt Rappaport, and Hector Penate are coaching. (And yes, Penate is really that Cuban, smokin' hunky hot guy. As for the reports about the affair. I don't believe them and if you know me well enough you've heard my reasons why.) You sit in the stands and talk about the Cannes Film Festival, who's who among stars and how they act on set, and what fashions will look best on what red carpet. Of course, there was more down to earth talk too, and yes, it felt a bit like the Twilight Zone to me, but now? I can't even stand to sit around too many of the people while watching Kade's games. I know part of it is my resentment towards the coaching staff, but man. Can I just say it? There are really some salt of the earth rednecks here. And not just redneck as in the car they drive, the clothes they wear. It is a LIFESTYLE. I know I am going to sound very elitist and I really don't mean to, but I just can't interact with these people. I DON'T LIKE THEM!!! Make no mistake. It isn't all because they are rednecked. I just don't like them. They are redneck "snobs". Is there such a thing? Is that an oxymoron? Do rednecked snobs even exist? Yes, they do. I've tried to be friendly, say hi, get to know people, but they have been there for years now and I am the new kid on the block. Of course, the haughty look on my face while I watch the game may be making them think the same thing about me and I totally know and recognize that. The said haughty look has to do with my disdain for the coaching though, not the people. Interestingly enough I have not entirely had the same problem with Jacob's team.

He and one other boy are the only new kids on a team that has played together for 3+ years now. The other boy's parents and I have hit it off and we get along great. The other parents really don't interact with us that much either, but at least we have each other. There again, I've said hi and tried to introduce myself, but they just aren't a real welcoming bunch of people. I really thought I would fit in better at this place, but I am so wrong. The parents in BH were so welcoming and warm and even though their reality and mine were so different, they were very nice to me and would engage me in conversations. Hell, one night I even acted as counselor, friend and confidant to Shawn. Sigh....

8 comments:

Kristi said...

You are hilarious! I am with ya though, Wade needs to tell the assistant coach his kid and yours are going to split time as the catchers. It just isn't fair! That stinks that he has to do it, but it is one of those things that just needs to be done! Please post the outcome for me. I'll be waiting!

chris said...

For some reason my color settings are different on this computer vs. my other hard drive. Strange. Anyhow...if you click on last year's coach's names it will take you to a link that tells a little bit about them. While most of us know who Larry is, Kurt and Hector are very interesting. Check them out when you have a minute.

globaljunkie said...

maybe the other kid is simply a better catcher? maybe you should move back to lala land where all you did was bitch, moan and whine about how much you hated it there as well. maybe you should get a life? or take your glock and show the other parents who's really in charge. i just living getting you all worked up, is so much fun.

chris said...

FYI, the other kid is not a better catcher, FYI, I've never said I liked living in BH better then here, and I've never said I hate it here. I'll take my glock and shove it up your... ;)

globaljunkie said...

perhaps you are simply not getting enough at home and are venting your pent up frustrations on a LL team. I can just see you becoming one of those psycho parents who goes postal at a game. would make good youtube video anyway.

BS and the Kids said...

let us know how it turns out. they defintely need to be atleast splitting time. tell your husband he needs to stop working to coach. he shouldn't have taken on the responsibility if he wasn't going to give up working. he is a work-aholic. you've known it from the start. love the comparison. it took me a minute to figure out who shawn was. she probably has a much different life being married to him.

BS and the Kids said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J and J said...

okay my kids- the first two will you always argue like that the rest of their lives? Turn you over my lap and give both of you a spanking. However, I do think that they need to at least split time. But as a former coach I never put my boys in at the "favorite" spots. Did not want to show favotism but on the other hand they were not "killer players" like I hear Kade is. Luv M